When used in this policy, the term “personal information” has the meaning given to it in the Act. In general terms, the personal information we collect consists of your full name and contact details. This may include postal and email address, telephone and fax number(s) and business contact details. Where relevant we may ask you for other information. To best deliver our services to you, we may collect information as to your real estate criteria such as property requirements, any applicable price brackets, dependencies and finance requirements.
We may collect personal information such as your IP address and web activity through third party companies such as Google analytics if you interact with us over the internet.
Collecting your personal information
Edinburgh Realty collects your personal information for the following main purposes:
- to satisfy our requirements to verify your identity to fulfil our obligations under the AML/CFT Act 2009;
- to maintain contact with you to keep you informed of current developments and the products and services we offer;
- for the management, administration, marketing (including direct marketing), planning, product or service development, quality control, survey and research purposes of Edinburgh Realty;
- to update our records and keep your contact details up to date;
- to process and respond to any complaint made by you; and
- to improve our website to provide you with a personalised experience.
We may collect your personal information via a number of methods including:
- through your access and use of our website;
- by telephone, letter or email;
- during conversations between you and our representatives;
- by contracting with us;
- by information provided by a third party;
- by entering competitions, promotions or requesting information or material from us;
- completing surveys, providing feedback or complaining to us.
We may also collect personal information from third parties including:
- your representatives (lawyers, accountants, brokers and financial advisers);
- publicly available sources of information or any other organisations where you have given your consent; and
- third parties engaged by us to undertake tele-marketing on our behalf.
How we use your personal information
We use your personal information to perform our services, respond to your requests and provide you with information about us.
With your verbal or written consent, we may use or disclose your personal information to your representatives, including but not limited to your broker, bank, accountant and legal advisers.
We never sell, rent or trade your personal information. We may share your personal information with our related companies and other third parties who provide services to us or on our behalf such as:
- our employees;
- third parties engaged by us; and
- service providers for the purposes of operation of our website or our business, fulfilling requests by you, and to otherwise provide products and services to you including, without limitation, web hosting providers, IT systems administrators, mailing houses, couriers, payment processors, data entry service providers, debt collectors and professional advisors such as accountants, solicitors, business advisors and consultants.
We require third parties to protect your information in a manner consistent with this policy and the Act.
We will hold your personal information for such time as required to fulfil the purposes for which it was collected, or as required by law.
Direct marketing materials
We may use your personal information to market our services to you, including by phone, letter, email or SMS. You consent to the receipt of such communications. If at any stage you no longer wish to receive this marketing, please use the unsubscribe function.
Security of your personal information
We take the security of your personal information very seriously. We will take reasonable commercial measures to protect your personal information from misuse, interference, loss, unauthorised access, modification or disclosure. Your information may be kept in electronic form or hard copy.
We implement a number of processes to ensure your personal information is safeguarded. Our processes include the following:
- information storage security policies;
- security measures for systems access;
- providing discreet meeting areas for confidential discussions; and
- accessed control for our customer relationship management systems.
However, as our website is linked to the internet and the internet is inherently insecure, we cannot provide any assurance regarding the security of transmission of information you communicate to us online. We also cannot guarantee that the information you supply will not be intercepted while being transmitted over the internet. Accordingly, any personal information or other information which you transmit to us online is transmitted at your own risk.
Most browsers are programmed to accept cookies. If you wish to erase or block Cookies, you may be able to do this by changing the settings of your browser.
Blogs, forums, and other social media
Edinburgh Realty communicates with clients by social media, forums and other interactive platforms. Any personal information you disclose on these sites may be read, collected and used by other users over whom we have no control. Edinburgh Realty is not responsible for any use, misuse or misappropriation by other users of any personal information that you submit.
Access to your personal information
To request access to your personal information, please email Edinburgh Realty. In certain circumstances we may be able to deal with your request over the telephone or in person. Otherwise we will endeavour to process your request within 21 days. In some circumstances we may refuse to give you access. We will explain why if that is the case (e.g. it may unreasonably affect the privacy of others).
We take reasonable steps to ensure that the personal information we collect and store is accurate, up-to-date and complete. Should you wish to access your personal information to ensure it is accurate, up-to-date, complete, relevant and not misleading, and if not, to correct it, please email Edinburgh Realty.
If you believe we have breached your privacy and would like to make a complaint, you can do so in writing by emailing or writing to us. We will endeavour to respond to your complaint within 30 days.
You may direct any subsequent complaints to the Office of the Privacy Commissioner at https://www.privacy.org.nz/.
How to contact us
We are committed to respecting your right to privacy and protecting your personal information. You may request further information about the way we manage your personal information by contacting the Privacy Officer (Kathryn Simpson) at Edinburgh Realty.
PO Box 5772
Phone: 03 474 0444