The Edinburgh Realty eNewsletter
Issue #49 | April 2017Archive
Six top tips: Autumn gardening
The days are closing in, easing us into the reality of winter. It won’t be long before the garden is the last place we want to be pottering, but a wee burst of activity now will see you enjoy a tidy garden over the winter months. Here are our six top tips.
1. Give your lawn some love: Autumn is the perfect time for the lawn to receive some TLC. It’s also a great time to sow a new lawn.
2. Enjoy a splash of colour: Plant up pots and containers with colour. Head to the garden centre and have some fun mixing or matching.
3. Plant veges for the months ahead: Autumn is an ideal time to plant broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, beetroot, spinach and Chinese cabbages.
4. Harvest fruit: Even if you’re not a “bottler”, pick the fruit and give it away. There is nothing like receiving a supermarket bag of imperfect homegrown produce.
5. Prune trees: This helps promote new growth and encourages autumn flowering.
6. Mulch garden beds: Take the time to pop on a layer of straw, bark, compost, grass clippings… whatever takes your fancy.